Thursday 17 December 2015

In recent weeks I've been feeling overwhelmed and a little lost. I had a massive to do list and no enthusiasm to make a start on it but I'm happy to say I've managed to tick a good chunk off that list. I don't know what the problem was, why I felt so unenthusiastic about starting these tasks, all I know is I felt more exhausted than normal having had a virus and so I settled into a quiet routine of not doing much at all. Until one Sunday I decided it was time to push myself; so I finished painting the living room (I only had a small patch left to do). I found I could do it, I felt better for doing it and slowly but surely I've been ticking things off my to do list ever since.

I think I'd fallen into the trap of resting because I'd had a virus and wasn't sure what my limits were any more. A virus can knock me right back so I just have to focus on the basics and it can be hard to determine exactly when to start pushing again since recovering from it can be so gradual I don't wake up one day feeling remarkably better like you generally would.

But since that Sunday I've discovered the virus hasn't damaged the progress I'd made M.E. wise and thus I am still building on the foundations I've created during this year. I've come so far from struggling to walk even aided round the house at the beginning of the year to walking mostly unaided with the help of the furniture at times! Climbing the stairs has become a lot easier although I still have nights where it is a struggle.

I've been out and about a lot lately in the car and using my wheelchair and I've been pleased to find I'm managing more outings with no significant payback; I've been exhausted afterwards but a good night's rest has actually eased that and the next day has been okay.

I'm working towards completing most of the goals I set out for 2015 and am pleased with the progress I've made. My walking had improved significantly even if I have yet to take that walk to my local corner shop; I did walk from my dentist surgery to the pay & display car park on crutches though. (It's not what most people would class as a long walk, Google informs me it's just 0.1 miles and should take approximately 2 minutes, of course it took me longer than that but I did it!). As for baking I've been doing the odd bit here and there with assistance either from a friend or family member or the food processor! I'm regularly making meals to freeze as well. Next week I shall be helping bake cookies and mince pies galore, as well as making that all important Christmas Pudding Ice Cream!

Now if I don't get a chance to post again before Christmas, given it is a busy time of the year with family, friends and getting enough all important rest that is a strong possibility! I want to take the chance to wish you all a Very Merry Christmas, I hope you all have a lovely time and are able to enjoy yourselves in whatever you manage to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment