Wednesday 21 January 2015

Project Walking

In the past few weeks I took a big step towards putting Project Walking into action. I walked around a local Lidl store unaided for the first time in well over a year! To say I am proud of myself is an understatement. The feeling of actually making improvements was immense. Until reality struck that is.

You see apparently that walk around a fairly small store (compared with the big supermarkets) was too much, too soon. Soon after I was exhausted and the next few days my legs were very painful and weak. But I did it and I've learned from it.

And so I have developed a different plan. Rather than build up my walking by actually going for walks around stores, parks etc. to begin with I am going to start using the Nintendo Wii Fit 'step' activities and perhaps the 'jog' one too if it will allow me to walk instead of jog!

I figure this way I can build up my leg muscles and stamina, the main source of my problems, gently while having the ability to stop and rest on the sofa during one of the activities if necessary. It's not an ideal solution; I'd love to get out in the fresh air more, but for now, until I've strengthened my legs a bit more I think it's the safest option.

I had my first go at this on January 20th. I completed one 'go' of the basic step activity. which left me utterly exhausted for the rest of the evening. But it was a start. I aim to do one 'go' at basic step once a week and see how things go. If it's too much I'll decrease how often I do it and if I feel I can do more I'll look at increasing the frequency. The first go at this was fantastic yet tinged with sadness at the same time; I've come so far from where I was the last time I used the Wii Fit (as scales no activities!) 444 days ago, yet at the same time I can't help but feel a little disappointed that roughly 4 minutes of simple exercise leaves me so completely exhausted. I'm all for keeping positive though so I'm focusing on how far I've come and how brilliant it was to be able to use the Wii Fit again while looking forward to the day I can manage more than 4 minutes exercise without the awful exhaustion that followed.

I don't want to push myself too far too soon and end up making myself worse. Pushing myself at all is a risk but it's one I'm willing to take because I want to get better. I just have to go at my own pace, listening to my body at all times. Getting a taste of that freedom of walking round a store has made me even more determined that I will do it again. So watch this space for more progress on Project Walking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment